Forum Sign in | Join Forum
     Bookmark and Share

Zoom

Last post 11-29-2011 3:39 PM by vimal. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 08-11-2009 11:56 PM

Zoom

Does anyone else have issues when zooming in (how far, I don't know... is there any sort of feedback for the current zoom level?).   After a certain zoom depth, a number of misfires are seen:

Parts of models disappear, or appear 'fractured' or 'streaked'

Parallel objects become increasingly non parallel

Surfaces display as moire patterns

and so on.

No permanent damage of course, but this behavior makes it that much more difficult to work and navigate when close inspection is needed.

Thanks,

Steve

[SpaceClaim Style 2009 SP2]

Filed under:
  • 08-14-2009 9:23 AM In reply to

Re: Zoom

Hello Steve,

While these are some known limitations as you reach the extents of our zoom, there are some tips to help improve what you are seeing.

First, in SpaceClaim Options > Popular there is a Rendering quality setting.  This determines the level of tesselation of your model.  Bumping this value up from the default of 3 will result in smoother looking curves and edges when zooming in.  Depending on your graphics hardware, there will be a trade-off in performance, so you may want to play around with the setting to find the optimal value for you.

Some of the streaking or patterning you describe could be cause in part by faces being coincident.  If two faces are right on top of each other, sometimes they both appear partly rendered.

I am not sure what you mean by parallel objects becoming non-parallel.  Could you elaborate?

Also, there is a workaround of sorts for all of this.  You could scale your model up while working on these fine details, and then scale it back down by the same scale factor once you are finished.

Regards,

James Saunders

• 08-16-2009 8:30 PM In reply to

Trying to include some images to illustrate my points...

To answer your questions, I always have tesselation set at the max, so nothing to do there.  I grabbed two screenshots and will note three items:

1.)  When at a high level of zoom, I'll often see overlapping curves where there should be none.  It looks like there is interference at the top of the two parts, but in actuality, there is not.

2.)  The two lines indicated lines are parallel, but at the level of zoom that I was at they are clearly shown as converging.  *However*, if the lines are select as shown in the second shot, the selected lines appear to be parallel on the screen.  One of the original lines remains however.

3.)  The white portion of the screen are "streaks" that shouldn't be there.

zoom1

zoom2

• 08-17-2009 5:01 AM In reply to

• Tijs
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-17-2009
    • Posts 10

Hi,

I've experienced similar problems. I'd like to show you some images, but I don't know how to include them, sorry. No time to figure that out.

But it can be really annoying. Because if a part is quite large, lets say 1500 mm, then the bad graphics startBad Graphicsrelatively soon. So you're not zoomed in really deep, but the graphics are already messed up.

Hopefully this can be fixed in the next service pack.

• 08-17-2009 11:15 AM In reply to

Tijs,

You have to host images external to the forum.   Upload your screen shots to an image hosting site or some other public  facing site under your control.  It would be nice if SpaceClaim could provide the disk space...

It also looks like the forum cropped (on my machine anyway) my images, but if you open the pictures themselves, everything is present.

• 08-17-2009 11:42 AM In reply to

• wph
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Gouda, The Netherlands
    • Posts 48

Tijs, if you want to show your images, you have to upload these to, for example, imagehost.org. Then you can load them into your message of this forum. If you need any help, let me know.

Regards,

Willem

• 08-19-2009 4:17 PM In reply to

Hi shinmn,

Can you send this into support@spaceclaim.com with the two faces indicated in some fashion.  Also include the video card you are using so we can have a better idea of what is causing this.

Thanks

Roman

• 02-07-2010 8:31 PM In reply to

Is this still affecting anyone else?  SC 2009+ Style

I've put up some further infomation here.

( http://mnima.wordpress.com/2010/02/07/spaceclaim-zoom/ in case the link doesn't work.)

Thanks,

Steve

Filed under:
  • 09-09-2010 10:23 PM In reply to

Update: I have moved machines and the egregious problems noted above have gone away as far as I can tell.  

However there is seems to be systemic condition in which curves and the like are not correctly (and repeatably) drawn at high levels of zoom.

The problem is illustrated here.

Do others run into this type of problem?   Surely there must be others who have dimensionally large objects under design who need to work on very small areas of detail.  How do others deal with parts that seemingly don't mate/align exactly upon visual quick visual inspection?

Thanks,

Steve

Filed under:
  • 11-29-2011 9:39 AM In reply to

Still (still!) having problems in this arena.

Link to latest example.

Would welcome any thoughts from any one (SpaceClaim included!) on this matter.

• 11-29-2011 3:39 PM In reply to

• vimal
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 04-11-2011
    • Posts 33

Hi Steve,

It works fine on my machine. This might have something to do with your graphics configuration. Please email support@spaceclaim.com for further instructions on how to troubleshoot this issue.

Best Regards,

Vimal

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)