Forum Sign in | Join Forum
     Bookmark and Share

Hole Recognition / Hole Creation / Hole Editing

Last post 09-27-2010 12:51 PM by djnelson75. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 10-20-2009 1:10 AM

Hole Recognition / Hole Creation / Hole Editing

I would like to have a much better way to edit and create holes in SpaceClaim. 

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

• 10-30-2009 12:42 PM In reply to

• wph
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Gouda, The Netherlands
    • Posts 48

Re: Hole Recognition / Hole Creation / Hole Editing

Jon, I definately agree with you. It is a lack of functionality I really need for sure. For instance, how can I simply create a bore hole with an angled bottom etc. See also my post of August 16th 2009 (Hole configuration). I really hope this will be solved in the next release.
  • 11-16-2009 3:14 AM In reply to

Yes, a hole creation and editing tool is badly needed. I have been doing some machinery-like stuff recently and holes took a lot of time to do. A hole tool should at least provide such things as bore type, core/thread diameter, shaft/thread lenght and bottom type. 

And while we're at it: A bolt/screw tool would also be nice, though a bit less important. I'm not talking a bolt library, just a tool that creates the most frequently used standard bolts from user input: Head type, thread type and thread/shaft lenght.

Martin

(Roman: It seems Firefox is working with the forum again, now!)

• 07-03-2010 6:15 PM In reply to

Bump.

Jon Banquer

San Diego, CA

• 09-23-2010 10:54 AM In reply to

• Dan B
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-13-2008
    • Windsor Ontario
    • Posts 12

In my opinion, the lack of a proper "Hole Wizard" is the main reason a lot of designers would pass on SpaceClaim. From a manager's perspective, we can't have designers wasting time modeling countersinks, counterbores, tap drill sizes etc. all day long. This is not a good use of their time. A designer needs to be able to pull out the hole type and size from a wizard and place it quickly. The wizard also has to be user definable so each company can set holes to their standards (for use with downstream feature recognition) and also to customize the list to the fasteners that they use.For example, you don't need a list populated with imperial fastener sizes if you use metric exclusively.

This is essentially why our main design software is SolidWorks. I show SpaceClaim to the Solidworks users and they are impressed until the subject of holes comes up. 

Dan

• 09-24-2010 1:11 AM In reply to

• wph
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Gouda, The Netherlands
    • Posts 48

I really would like to hear a comment from SpaceClaim itself when they are planning to integrate this function, together with a hole index table. Also several requests for a good PDM are still pending.....

• 09-24-2010 3:10 AM In reply to

It's good you bumped this one up again, Willem. The hole tool is still badly needed in every day work!
  • 09-26-2010 8:11 PM In reply to

Hi All,

Thank you for bringing up this enhancement suggestion again. A fast way to get the message across to Development on this enhancement is to file an enhancement request via our case submission page : 

http://www.spaceclaim.com/Support/Support_Case.aspx

For a current workaround, a fast way it to save a library of hole designs. When required simply bring the desired hole in, move it to place and use the combine tool to cut it in.

-Sasi

SpaceClaim Support Team.

Filed under:
  • 09-27-2010 10:01 AM In reply to

• wph
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on 08-09-2008
    • Gouda, The Netherlands
    • Posts 48

I suggest/hope that as many as possible users make this enhancement request.
  • 09-27-2010 10:19 AM In reply to

• Dan B
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on 05-13-2008
    • Windsor Ontario
    • Posts 12

I did as was suggested, and submitted the enhancement request. Please, every one take 30 seconds and do it too. Hopefully this will get noticed by the developers.

Dan

• 09-27-2010 12:51 PM In reply to

I my opinion, which isn't say much as I am a newer spaceclaim user, is it would be nice to make a particular hole a component that can be used over and over. That way you could have libraries of holes just like other components.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)