Forum Sign in | Join Forum
     Bookmark and Share

Trouble exporting files to Laser

Last post 01-13-2012 10:00 AM by martin kopplow. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • 01-05-2012 8:23 AM

• DTTech
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-05-2012
    • Posts 4

Trouble exporting files to Laser

Hi, I'm fairly new to SC and very new to the forum so should introduce myself,  My name is James and I am a Technician in a secondary school in Shropshire.  I was supporting a class today and the plan was to make a paper prototype of the kids designs (desk tidy) which they had created in SC.

However, I have had no sucess at all trying to output/export a sheet metal file from SC to our Mercury Laser cutter (via 2D Design).

2DDesign doesnt seem to recognise the file types - I saved a copy of the file in EVERY fiel type from the drop down list offered by SC (about 20).

I have read another thread on here regarding to something simillar, so I tried that (in effect it is what I had already done) - that thread was posted around 2010 so I figure this sort of thing is old news now..

I appreciate any help any of you can offer.

• 01-05-2012 3:08 PM In reply to

Re: Trouble exporting files to Laser

Hi James
    I expect that you have created the 2D drawing of the part in Spaceclaim, file new\drawing sheet.

Make sure that the scale is 1:1
    Next, go to DISPLAY and make it HIDDEN line removed, it is under the Graphic tab/dropdown
    There is NO export in SC, so save as DXF, making sure that the 1:1 scale is ticked and the DRAWING format option is UNTICKED.
    Finally make sure you use ACAD12 as the output Verison type, the rest just go haywire

next in 2D import, make sure that the bits for inches is changed to metric  (a 50mm box is very large at 50 inches), finally remove teh IMPORT as a group.  then press OK

You should have the parts on the screen, you now need to remoe all the  bits you don't want, including the SPACECLAIM water mark. 

The water mrk is not a solid delete, but loads of small lines, becareful not to delete your drawing.  SC exports a hole as 2 semi circles and  corner rounds a 2 parts

Finally, finally set it up for your laser

Techno

• 01-05-2012 3:16 PM In reply to

Strike 2, SC just crashed out a full page reply! My fault for not using word and then pasting in the answer
    Open up your part, go to file new \drawing sheet
    go to DISPLAY and make the GRAPHIC tab hidden line removed

Make sure the scale is 1:1 top right

SC doesn’t export, so save as DXF

Watch for scale 1:1, include drawing format (uncheck that box)

Make sure the VERSION is ACAD12

Save the file

In 2D import the DXF, watch for inches  a 50mm box in inches is 4 feet!)

Lose the import as  group

Delete anything you don’t want, including the watermark (PITA, pain in the ***)

Circles & holes from SC are semicircles, so watch out for deleting with the lasso

Set up as required for laser and bingo

Techno

• 01-06-2012 3:55 AM In reply to

• DTTech
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-05-2012
    • Posts 4

Thanks Techno,

Thats a greeat help, I am now able to import as a dxf which is excellent.

I had AutoCAD set to the wrong version.

I couldnt follow what you meant about scale being at 1:1?  Cant find that anywhere.

However ..!!  All the lines are coming in as dashed lines, I am running through the options but as of yet not struck gold - again, a shove in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

• 01-06-2012 4:05 AM In reply to

• DTTech
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-05-2012
    • Posts 4

I did forget to mention - I'm changing the line spec in 2D Design so I am getting around the problem but would like the easy route if anyone knows it.

thanks again

James

• 01-06-2012 7:45 AM In reply to

the scale shows up in the top right of the drawing sheet, plus it is also in teh OPTIONS box when you go to SAVE as.

The correct version for ACAD is ACAD12, this stops the lines going odd.

You have changed the DISPLAY to remove hidden lines
    Send me your email address I will screen dump some images for you.This forum doesn't seem to support  images easily, unless someone knows better, hint hint

techno

• 01-13-2012 3:02 AM In reply to

• DTTech
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on 01-05-2012
    • Posts 4

Thanks for all the help Techno and others who have pm'd me.

It is reassuring to know help is on hand.

• 01-13-2012 10:00 AM In reply to

If you have trouble exporting DXF to laser or whatever, try changing the settings in Spaceclaim options/FileOptions/AutoCAD/Export not to use the Teigha filter, but the AitodeskTrueDWG filter. The Teigha seems a bit buggy. Also, you might want to change Spaceclaim display graphics to "hidden lines removed" before exporting, in order to prevent duplicate lines in the 2D DXF file.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)